The Sutton Hoo Ship’s Company (referred to as SHSC throughout this document) is a charitable company set up to build a replica Saxon Ship.
SHSC respects your privacy, and will only use your personal information to contact you, and to administer our relationship with you.
It is very important for us to be able to keep in touch with our supporters. We need your contact details, and this is how we will look after them.
Who is collecting my information?
SHSC is the Data Controller. This means it is the organisation that collects, checks and holds your data. It aims to do so to the highest ethical and legal standards.
What information is being collected and why?
We collect :
- Your name and email address, so we can communicate with you and send you our newsletters.
- Any alternative contact information that you submit, which may include name, postal address, telephone number, email address, and any alternatives of these.
- If you have told us any more about yourself, such as particular interests, experience relevant to our project or to volunteering, for example, this may also be recorded.
You may ask to see the information held about you at any time. We will need proof of identity for this. You can also ask that we modify, correct or delete your information at any time. To ask to see or amend your data, please contact us.
How is your personal information collected?
Personal data may be stored electronically and/or on paper. It is collected and stored when you supply it, for example:
– if you subscribe to our newsletter, or ask to be kept in touch with the project’s progress and activities
– if you offer to volunteer.
– if you make a donation
– if you choose to join any of SHSC activities or organised events, that may require us to contact you, or to keep track of who is taking part.
Why is it being collected? How will it be used?As a charity, SHSC is dependent on the support and interest of the community. We need to be able to contact you to keep you informed about our work so that you may participate, benefit or help support the project, and to provide you with information that you have requested, such as our newsletters.
Your personal contact details will be used by SHSC to get in touch with you if you participate in SHSC activities, such as boat building. We will also keep any information you supply such as availability and preferences for volunteering, for reference.
All supporters are invited to join our e-newsletter mailing list via the sign up form on the website.
Who can use/access the data collected?
The data you supply will only be accessible to members of the SHSC executive team.
Who will it be shared with?
We will never sell or give your information to marketing organisations.
We will only share your personal details with another organisation when it is necessary to your relationship with SHSC, for example:
- If required to advise organisers of an event not run by ourselves, which you are attending as a volunteer for the SHSC
- If our insurers require names of participants for specific activities
- This might be needed for your participation in joint ventures where other organisations are involved with the SHSC (e.g. Woodbridge Riverside Trust), or in activities wholly in the control of the SHSC.
- To comply with a court order, or to meet legal obligations of the Company as for example with Gift Aid information.
How long is information retained?
We only retain personal data for as long as is appropriate for its intended purpose. For example if you add your email address to the e-newsletters list, and later tell us you no longer wish to receive it, your email address will be removed immediately from the list of newsletter recipients.
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. While no system can ever be one hundred percent secure, we will always do our utmost to protect your personal data. We keep our systems protected with up to date security measures such as anti-virus and malware software.
Links to other websites
If you linked to our website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site.
Use of ‘cookies’
Like many websites, the SHSC website uses ‘cookies’. These are small pieces of information sent by an organisation to your computer and stored on your hard drive. They enable our website to recognise you when you visit it. They do not identify you as an individual.
Cookies are used to gain knowledge about how our website is used. For example, which areas of the website are most visited and for how long. This helps us to monitor and improve our website.
It is possible to switch off cookies by setting your browser preferences.
Deleting your personal information
You may remove your name and email address from the newsletter mailing list by using the unsubscribe button on any newsletter,
To remove your entire record – name and all associated personal information – from our contact list, please send an email requesting this to:
email@example.com and your request will be dealt with promptly.
Alternatively, you can write to us to ask us to make either of these changes, at ‘The Sutton Hoo Ship’s Company, The Longshed, Tide Mill Way, Woodbridge, IP12 1FP’.
Amending and updating your personal information
If you want to know what personal information we hold about you, please email us as above.
Help to keep us up to date by letting us know if anything changes, especially your email address.
The Sutton Hoo Ship’s Company
Tide Mill Way
Review of this Policy
This policy was updated on 29 May 2021 and will be reviewed annually, or earlier if required by legislation.